AFP sees no security threat for Feb. 6 plebiscite

There are no security threats detected so far for the second plebiscite of the Bangsamoro Organic Law (BOL) on February 6, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) public affairs office chief, Col. Noel Detoyato said Thursday.

Detoyato, however, said this does not mean that the military is taking things lightly despite the generally peaceful conduct of the first BOL plebiscite on January 21.

“No reports (on any security threats for February 6 polls) but just the mere fact that we have a security plan, it means that we are not discounting any perceived threat,” he said when asked by the Philippine News Agency on whether they have received reports that “spoilers” are planning hard to disrupt the coming polls.

On Monday, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) conducted the plebiscite for the ratification of the BOL, which seeks to create the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

The provinces included are Basilan, Lanao del Sur, Maguindanao, Sulu, and Tawi-Tawi; as well in Cotabato City; and Isabela City. Another plebiscite will be held on February 6 in the province of Lanao del Norte, except Iligan City; the municipalities of Aleosan, Carmen, Kabacan, Midsayap, Pikit, and Pigkawayan in the province of North Cotabato and the 28 barangays that sought to be included in the region.

“Since it will be relatively smaller, concentration of troops will be higher. AFP troops are predeployed so there will be minimal movement to secure the plebiscite on February 6,” Detoyato said.

The military has deployed more than 10,000 troops and support units to help secure the BOL plebiscite along with the Philippine National Police. (PNA)

Credit : http://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1059898